Europa-List: Re: Is 160F too cold.

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Is 160F too cold.
From: crouton <crouton@well.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2021 12:10:22

I have a classic with an 80hp.
After several years of experimentation I have settled upon a cowl flap/exit air
restrictor and, most important, a Laminova water-oil heat exchanger.
The cowl flap keeps the coolant temperature under control (210-220F) and the
heat
exchanger keeps the temps in lockstep in cruise.  In climb, the oil temp
stabilizes
at 15-20degF over coolant temp.  (I attribute this to heat load in the
gearbox.)
If you Choose the Laminova, get the largest of the 3 standard sizes.  It will
not
overcool.
(I started with the smallest, moved to the medium and had to install a coolant
restrictor to force more coolant through the heat exchange section)
They are not returnable so go for the big one, its not a great deal lerger or
more
expensive.
In descent temps go to 170-180F.  Cowl flapp closed.
It has been a lot of work, but I love my Laminova.  I am in Vermont currently,
with surface temperatures in the 20-25F range. (-5C)
Warmup is a bit quicker, too.

Creighton. 96EG.  A009
Sent from my iPad

wrote:

> *

>   Online Versions of Today's List Digest Archive
>
> Today's complete Europa-List Digest can also be found in either of the
> two Web Links listed below.  The .html file includes the Digest formatted
> in HTML for viewing with a web browser and features Hyperlinked Indexes
> and Message Navigation.  The .txt file includes the plain ASCII version
> of the Europa-List Digest and can be viewed with a generic text editor
> such as Notepad or with a web browser.
>
> HTML Version:
>

> http://www.matronics.com/digest/digestview.php?Style=82701&View=html&Chapter
> 21-01-11&Archive=Europa
>
> Text Version:
>

> http://www.matronics.com/digest/digestview.php?Style=82701&View=txt&Chapter
> 21-01-11&Archive=Europa

>   EMail Version of Today's List Digest Archive
>

>           ----------------------------------------------------------
>                           Europa-List Digest Archive
>                                      ---
>                     Total Messages Posted Mon 01/11/21: 5
>           ----------------------------------------------------------
>

> Today's Message Index:
> ----------------------
>
>     1. 08:53 AM - Re: Is 160 F too cold?  (Erich Trombley)
>     2. 03:38 PM - Mono Slave Cyl O-ring  (Kingsley Hurst)
>     3. 03:39 PM - Mono Slave Cyl O-ring  (Kingsley Hurst)
>     4. 07:26 PM - Re: Re: Is 160 F too cold?  (William Daniell)
>     5. 09:10 PM - Buy (20Pieces) Apple iPhone 12 5G 64GB Mini Unlocked $10,580
(matt63867)

> ________________________________  Message 1
> _____________________________________
>

> From: Erich Trombley <erichdtrombley@juno.com>
> Subject: Europa-List: RE:  Is 160 F too cold?
>

> Hi William,
>
> As far as engine damage, I cant say.  However, it is outside the recommended
temperature
> range specified by Rotax.   I had contemplated installing an oil thermostat
> to solve the same issue, and decided to fabricate a cowl flap instead.
> Works very well.
>
> I close it off completely for engine start and initial warm up.   I then
> either
> open or close it to maintain CHT/oil temps in the specified range.  As a bonus
> I pick a few knots in cruise, especially in the winter months when, I have it
> almost completely closed.
>
> In use a small electric actuator to move the flap.  I dont have the standard
Europa