Europa-List: Re: Container contingency

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Container contingency
From: clivesutton <clive.maf@googlemail.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2019 03:46:20

What an ordeal Robert - thanks for sharing such great detail though - the rail
shipping loadcase insight is an especially useful tip.

I have my Mono at home in my single UK garage at the moment and as a result of
this post, decided to take a few measurements to see how/if mine might fit into
a 20ft container.

The image of the Mono in side view [attached] comes from the Owners manual,
scaled
to the right length and height for my aircraft.  The envelope outlines shown
are the 20ft container dimensions in red, my garage dimensions in blue and
the dimensional figures from the manual in black.  It is clear that removing the
spinner will save some space (how much depends on your prop spinner - for a
Woodcomp the saving is ~30mm), as will removing the rudder.

Interestingly, with the rudder removed, the rear of the fin is more or less
vertically
above the tailwheel (Singleton tailwheel), and its removal saves around
250mm on the overall length of the a/c on its wheels.

It may also be possible to get some extra length clearance in the container
simply
by turning the attached rudder to one side - and there is always the possibility
to position the aircraft diagonally in the container of course.

My garage is about 200mm wider than a container and at a push i can stow both my
tail-planes on top of each other in the cockpit space (yes the doors do close
- but plenty of padding needed), and the main wings will go leading-edge
downwards
on some supports alongside the fuselage (no tools or bench in the garage
then of course).

I also have a Mono trailer and the aircraft goes into my garage space
comfortably
in width and height - but i did have to extend my garage doors to accommodate
the length of the aircraft on a mono trailer, to 6200mm.

Read this topic online here:

Attachments:

http://forums.matronics.com//files/mono_vs_20ft_container_851.jpg