Europa-List: Re: Mono to Taildragger conversion

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Mono to Taildragger conversion
From: John Wighton <john@wighton.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2019 00:17:39

Hi Duncan,

The intention was to get the prototype working and then create kits.   The mono
to tail dragged market being the main objective.  When Miles decided to pursue
his own business, away from Flyer, the project stalled.

I had an attempt to buy the Flyer Europa but Mike was a far more effective
purchaser
- quickly finishing the aeroplane and having the final stage of the Mod
application approved.

As l funded the original design work l own any associated IP, hence the reason
for adding it as a product on our website.   Our main business is design and
stress
analysis, as you are aware.

I did a comparable analysis of the Swiss gear, making assumptions when details
were not known.  The Swiss gear is significantly stiffer in the longitudinal
direction
(braking and rebound loads).  Our version, utilising the solid ma8n gear
of the Europa tri, gives similar stiffness in all directions.

The mass items are the main legs, sandwich panel webs and additional reinforcing
plies that cover them.  The reinforcements form a Y shape (from the pilot seat
you see this shape >< under the knees of the occupants.  The centre  part braces
the tunnel walls and gives a cont8nuous load path.

I can supply photos is needed.

Regards
JW

--------