Re: Europa-List: Re: Mono to Taildragger conversion

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Mono to Taildragger conversion
From: D McFadyean <amimcfadyean@talktalk.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2019 08:34:52

John,
Thanks for your reply.
I have a monowheel owner very seriously wanting to convert to taildragger; in
fact
he won't put the a/c back in to service until he's done that.
The Swiss conversion is dead-in-the-water as Luc Job (the original
designer/manufacturer)
says that he's lost the leg moulds, less still has any enthusiasm to
produce any more legs.
Will it be possible to licence one further Flyer conversion and supply the
drawings?
I appreciate that the gear legs are currently unobtainium from Europa and would
need to be made up (in the States or similar). I imagine that LAA has the
relevant
details associated with the mod., but as IP owner, you would need to authorise
any use of them.

Rgds.,
Duncan.
> On 09 September 2019 at 08:17 John Wighton <john@wighton.net> wrote:
>

> Hi Duncan,
>
> The intention was to get the prototype working and then create kits.   The
> mono
to tail dragged market being the main objective.  When Miles decided to pursue
his own business, away from Flyer, the project stalled.

> I had an attempt to buy the Flyer Europa but Mike was a far more effective
> purchaser
- quickly finishing the aeroplane and having the final stage of the Mod
application approved.

> As l funded the original design work l own any associated IP, hence the reason
for adding it as a product on our website.   Our main business is design and
stress analysis, as you are aware.

> I did a comparable analysis of the Swiss gear, making assumptions when details
were not known.  The Swiss gear is significantly stiffer in the longitudinal
direction (braking and rebound loads).  Our version, utilising the solid ma8n
gear of the Europa tri, gives similar stiffness in all directions.

> The mass items are the main legs, sandwich panel webs and additional
> reinforcing
plies that cover them.  The reinforcements form a Y shape (from the pilot
seat you see this shape >< under the knees of the occupants.  The centre  part
braces the tunnel walls and gives a cont8nuous load path.