Re: Europa-List: Ditching (Trigear)

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Ditching (Trigear)
From: davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2019 11:07:59

Peter, I would expect your XS to float more or less indefinitely as long
as the sea is not very rough and as long as you have not left holes in
the wings. If you have put in nav lights and left any sort of air gap
the wings will fill with water and you are then in thesame sort of
situation as a PA28, many of which have been timed as sinking in exactly
3 minutes! Regards, David Joyce,GXSDJ

On 2019-04-13 03:34, Pete wrote:

> Found it, thanks!
> https://www.theeuropaclub.org/flying/flight-safety [1]
>
> On Apr 12, 2019, at 5:46 PM, houlihan@blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
>
> Hi Peter.
>
> I recall reading about a "ditching" of a trigear Europa some years ago off
> South
America I saw the photo of the plane being brought ashore after ditching.
The story as I recall it was that the plane floated and was towed to the shore;

> See the photo of it floating quite buoyantly in an article in the Europa club
> website www.theeuropaclub.org [2] .
>
> On 12 April 2019 at 17:00 Peter Zutrauen <peterz@zutrasoft.com> wrote:
>
> I had thought with the prepreg wings that it was a 'sinker'. The classic on
> the
other hand.....

> Cheers,
> Pete
>

> I am planning on flying abroad this year ,does anybody know whether my Europa
XS Trigear would float in the event of the ditching, and would it sustain one
or two people .Has anybody done any calculations on floatation. Regards Roger
G-CICA

> Read this topic online here:
>
> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.php?p=488683#488683 [3]
>
> ===========