Re: Europa-List: a compass question

Subject: Re: Europa-List: a compass question
From: Tim Ward <ward.t@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2019 11:14:34

Hi Fred,
I incorporated a compass =98holder=99 within the home made roof c
omposite lining as seen in this photo. I designed it around a 747-400 compas
s moulding when bored flying over the Pacific years ago. I placed a blue alu
minium plate to secure the compass.
Great position to read the compass with a compass swing card reading on the s
ide.
However, I do believe obsolescence has crept in regarding a compass with all
 the other
direction finding instruments of today. We have to have one as an electrical
 failure is always a risk.

All the best,

Tim

Tim Ward
12 Waiwetu Street,
Fendalton,
Christchurch, 8052
New Zealand

ward.t@xtra.co.nz

Mob +64 210640221

> On 20/02/2019, at 10:37 AM, Fred Klein <freddythek10@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> thank you David
>
>> On Feb 19, 2019, at 1:28 PM, davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk wrote:
>>
>> Along with most of my friends my compass is at the top of the screen in m
idline and has worked well. In UK we are still required to have one, but you
 are right that it is becoming less used/useful than it was with EFIS and GP
S offering rather more user friendly options. There is the point of course t
hat the compass will carry on working even if you are clean out of electrici
ty so I wouldn't encourage you to bin it!