Re: Europa-List: a compass question

Subject: Re: Europa-List: a compass question
From: davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2019 21:28:26

Fred, Along with most of my friends my compass is at the top of the
screen in midline and has worked well. In UK we are still required to
have one, but you are right that it is becoming less used/useful than it
was with EFIS and GPS offering rather more user friendly options. There
is the point of course that the compass will carry on working even if
you are clean out of electricity so I wouldn't encourage you to bin it!

Regards, David Joyce, GXSDJ

On 2019-02-19 19:52, Fred Klein wrote:

> Along with my Europa kit, I ordered the "Navigator" compass which was offered
as an accessory at the time of purchase.

> I ask because the mounting procedure offers little slack...i.e., no second
> chance...and
I want to get it right the first time.

> And I'm wondering what that "optimum position" might be...?...
>
> With only "hangar flying" experience, my sense is that the best position would
be to mount the adhesive pad provided as high as possible on the windscreen,
along the aircraft's centerline...

> A different approach would be to rotate the bracket with the mounting pad and
adhere it to the top of the instrument panel module, again on the aircraft
centerline...

> Or is there, perhaps, another alternative?
>
> Have Europa pilots with in-flight experience settled this question?...or has
the digital world eliminated the need or desirability for what's become a little
anachronism?

> Advice and counsel appreciated,
>
> Fred
> A194