Re: Europa-List: Tailplane shaft installation

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Tailplane shaft installation
From: Gaham Singleton <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2018 10:38:35

Hi Graeme
Another point of some importance for builders to remember is that the tailplane
torque tube is chrome plated 4130.
Be careful not to damage the plating or distort the tube. Wasnt it precision
ground
to size?
Graham
Wish I had a shed like Graemes!

wrote:

> When mounting my tailplane shaft I made sure the Fuselage 'boat' was rigid in
this area by permanently fitting a strut just forward of the shaft at the point
shown in Chapter 18 Fig 1 withe dimension of 132 mm (see picture). This is
an absolute must to keep this area rigid; regardless of having a solid dolly to
hold the fuselage at about 5 locations. Over the several years of construction
the tailplane shaft has always been easy to move - no slop, no friction.