Europa-List: Re: Europa Trigear with Rotax 914 running out of steam at

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Europa Trigear with Rotax 914 running out of steam at
From: h&amp;jeuropa <butcher43@att.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2018 10:10:47

Roland,

We often fly at 12K ft in our mono-wheel.  We see about 130 - 140 kts ias at 70%
power (30.5 in Hg, 5000 rpm).

Our experience has shown there are three important factors for higher altitude
flight.  The turbo waste gate must fully close - no free play in the cable.
There
must be no leaks at the carb bowls - look for fuel stains on the drip trays.
If you have the coarse setting of the Airmaster per the manual, your coarse
setting will not be coarse enough. As I recall, we had to adjust the coarse
setting about two turns more coarse for proper performance.  Bud suggests fly
in CRUISE /AUTO mode at full power (100%) at cruise altitude.  Pitch down and
accelerate towards VNE.  If the rpm increases well before reaching VNE, you have
hit the coarse limit and it needs to be set more coarse.

The fuel flows you report are about right.  We see 5.5 gph at 70% power and
roughly
7 gph at 100%.  You really need a manifold pressure gauge!

I hope this helps.

Jim & Heather

Read this topic online here: