Europa-List: Re: Engine Over-cooling

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Engine Over-cooling
From: Roland <schmidtroland@web.de>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2017 12:13:53

Hi Jon,

I've experimented a looong time, until I found a perfect setup with a XS
cowling,
water thermostat and almost all air forced through the radiator with only a
5mm gap below it to feed the 7-row oil cooler instead of the standard 13-row.
Below 10C I blank 25% of the oil cooler and below 0C another 25% with a clip
of aluminium sheet. That way I get >80C oil and 95C water temperature in cruise.
During descents in very cold temperatures the oil and water temperatures drop
even with a thermostat and I don't think that you can do much against that.

To get the water temps under control on the ground was the hardest bit for me.
Everything else was trial and errow with often very surprising results (one was
the fact, that a 7-row oil cooler is sufficient even with the Turbo Rotax).

That said, I don't think, that low water temperatures are critical as opposite
to too low oil temperatures.

Good luck!

Roland
PH-ZTI