Re: Europa-List: Re: Full trigear speed kit vs hinge fairings only

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Full trigear speed kit vs hinge fairings only
From: Paul McAllister <paul.the.aviator@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2017 14:38:00
For those who don't know who Klaus Savier is, he races a Varieze and is a
fanatic when it comes to drag. For the longest time Klaus was the man to
beat.

I remember going to one of his presentations and looking at his aircraft. I
don't recall if it was the hinge on the canard, or the stakes on the rear
wing but I was surprised that there was no fairing.  He had rounded the
front LE of the bracket and that was all.

Knowing Klaus, if he thought he could get 1/10 of a knot gain he would put
a fairing in it.

>From this I concluded with the exception of the outrigger that perhaps
there is little value in the fairing the flap hinges on the Europa.

Just my observation as a lost soul wanting around the Oshkosh airshow.