Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa Cowl Resin

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa Cowl Resin
From: ami-mcfadyean@talktalk.net <amimcfadyean@talktalk.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2017 09:52:33

The pale green colour gives away that the resin is probably Class 2 fire
retardant
(polyester), which is what I have believed it to be, having been told that
by the company that made the Classic cowls; others might be different.
It might also be vinyl-ester, but I doubt it and this resin is now in any case
very difficult to track down in Class 2 quality (Dow used to supply it, but
don't
appear to any more).Standard Class 2 polyester can be post cured to a Tg of
up to 80C, which is more than enough for cowls (other than close to
inappropriately
fitted/protected manifolds, which can/should be dealt with by other means).
There would be other issues under the cowls at 80C to worry about!
Duncan McF.