Re: Europa-List: Throttle and choke cable length

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Throttle and choke cable length
From: davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2017 14:00:31

Jeroen, Things may have changed or be different for a non 914, but the
way my 914 fitted in 2002 and have just refitted in last couple of
months was for both the choke and throttle cables to split to either
side of the engine. The choke cables then take a gentle curve inwards,
run alongside each other just in front of the air box (but in different
directions) to come at the top of the carb on the other side from where
they started. Those cables were the correct length. The throttle cables
however just run directly to the carb on their initial side with a
slight S bend but no loop or deviation across the midline. I cannot
remember for certain now whether they were longer than needed, although
I think they were, but shortening them should not be a problem. Cut the
outer to the required length with the inner wire withdrawn. Replace the
inner wire and cut that once you have threaded it through the throttle
attachment and having put a bit of tight heat shrink over the bit you
are going to cut, to stop it splaying. Friction within the throttle
sheathing is a potential problem as you are relying on a fairly weak
spring to pull the throttle wide open, so you want gentle curves and no
more than necessary.

Regards, David Joyce

On 2017-08-22 13:27, William Daniell wrote:

> Jeroen
>
> yes I had the same confusion....and almost shortened them. Dont!
>
> However the throttle cables loop forwards of the firewall i suppose to give
> smooth
curves (as it were). It is a full 360 deg loop.

> Will
>
> William Daniell LONGPORT
>
> +57 310 295 0744
>
> On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 7:00 AM, jglazener <j.glazener@planet.nl> wrote:
>

>> I have just threaded the throttle and choke cables through the firewall. They
turn out to be twice as long as needed to fix them to the engine. Shortening
them does not seem to be an option so what to do? Loop them around? Behind or
in front of the firewall?

>> --------
>> Jeroen
>>
>> http://www.europaowners.org/main.php?g2_itemId=44165 [1]