Re: Europa-List: Cambridge cowboy

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Cambridge cowboy
From: davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2017 21:46:40

I am pursuing it via the Cambridge Aero Club, which strangely enough has
a blue and white Extra the spitting image of the one which aggravate4d
us. David

On 2017-06-14 20:49, Alan Burrill wrote:

> Radar recordings are retained for 30 days.
>
> It's worth filing an airprox so it can be investigated and lessons learned
>
> Alan
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On 14 Jun 2017, at 19:16, Bob Harrison <ptag.dev@talktalk.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> David, you are probably too late to have the Radar Services save the tapes.
But if you had reported it whilst air borne they would have it recorded. The JCB
helicopter nearly took me out between Kettering and Northampton once I didn't
report it at once but commenced a complaint with JCB direct, they denied having
a flight at that time. But on pressure their manager gave way and admitted
the flight was a training flight between Ellestree and Utoxeter with the damn
pilot "under the hood" his lookout was on the wrong side to me. I had been
receiving
a Radar service from Birmingham or East Midlands but he was under observation
---From Coventry. But no bugger was going to tell me I didn't know what
a Yellow JCB copter looked like especially when in that split second all I could
see out the screen forward was yellow Copter.

>> You should have done an immediate airborne report but I guess you weren't
>> receiving
a service?

>> These tossers want taking to task . I would instigate an investigation
>> .......nothing
to stop you ......make them squirm like the Hunter Pilot at Shorham.

>> Regards
>>
>> Bob Harrison G-PTAG.
>>
>> FROM: owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com
>> [mailto:owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com] ON BEHALF OF
>> davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk
>> SENT: 14 June 2017 09:38
>> TO: europa list
>> SUBJECT: Europa-List: Cambridge cowboy
>>
>> This last Sunday we were returning from our Arctic trip passing about 5 miles
north of Cambridge at around 5.45 pm at something like 2800 ft and battling
a 20+ kt headwind. We saw a plane coming on a reciprocal track at our 1 o'clock
and about 300 ft higher. We turned 45 degrees left to give added clearance and
increase conspicuity whilst keeping a close eye on him. We were surprised to
say the least when from fairly close he dived to his right to descend to pass
immediately in front of us about 10 feet up and perhaps 50 yards in front. As
he reached our track he did an aileron roll! And dived off in the direction
of Cambridge. Elegant but IDIOTIC! The plane was blue and white and looked like
an Extra or similar. It all happened so quickly that we did not have a chance
to get the reg, otherwise we would have felt obliged to report an Airprox. We
might have been the sort of muffins that rarely look out of the cockpit, and
could perhaps have just realised that we were going

 to be
late & pushed the throttle or whatever.

>> If any of you flying out of Cambridge recognise the description, you might
>> like
to pass the message that we did not yhink it was a specially bright manoeuvre!