Europa-List: Cambridge cowboy

Subject: Europa-List: Cambridge cowboy
From: davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2017 09:38:17

This last Sunday we were returning from our Arctic trip passing about 5
miles north of Cambridge at around 5.45 pm at something like 2800 ft and
battling a 20+ kt headwind. We saw a plane coming on a reciprocal track
at our 1 o'clock and about 300 ft higher. We turned 45 degrees left to
give added clearance and increase conspicuity whilst keeping a close eye
on him. We were surprised to say the least when from fairly close he
dived to his right to descend to pass immediately in front of us about
10 feet up and perhaps 50 yards in front. As he reached our track he did
an aileron roll! And dived off in the direction of Cambridge. Elegant
but IDIOTIC! The plane was blue and white and looked like an Extra or
similar. It all happened so quickly that we did not have a chance to get
the reg, otherwise we would have felt obliged to report an Airprox. We
might have been the sort of muffins that rarely look out of the cockpit,
and could perhaps have just realised that we were going to be late &
pushed the throttle or whatever.

 If any of you flying out of Cambridge recognise the description, you
might like to pass the message that we did not yhink it was a specially
bright manoeuvre!

Regards, David Joyce & Tim Houlihan in GBZTH