Re: Europa-List: Cambridge cowboy

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Cambridge cowboy
From: Alan Burrill <alanb@dpy01.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2017 20:49:34
Radar recordings are retained for 30 days.

It's worth filing an airprox so it can be investigated and lessons learned

Alan

Sent from my iPad

> On 14 Jun 2017, at 19:16, Bob Harrison <ptag.dev@talktalk.net> wrote:
>
> Hi!
> David,  you are probably too late to have the Radar Services save the tape
s. But if you had reported it whilst air borne they would have it recorded. T
he JCB helicopter nearly took me out between Kettering and Northampton once I
 didn=99t report it at once but commenced a complaint with JCB direct,
 they denied having a flight at that time.  But on pressure their manager ga
ve way and admitted the flight was a training flight between Ellestree and U
toxeter with the damn pilot =9Cunder the hood=9D his lookout was
 on the wrong side to me.   I had been receiving a Radar service from Birmin
gham  or East Midlands but he was under observation from Coventry.  But no b
ugger was going to tell me I didn=99t know what a Yellow JCB copter lo
oked like especially when in that split second all I could see out the scree
n forward was yellow Copter.
> You should have done an immediate airborne report but I guess you weren
=99t receiving a service?
> These tossers want taking to task . I would instigate an investigation ...
....nothing to stop you  ......make them squirm like the Hunter Pilot at Sho
rham.

ver@matronics.com] On Behalf Of davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk
> Sent: 14 June 2017 09:38
> To: europa list
> Subject: Europa-List: Cambridge cowboy
>
> This last Sunday we were returning from our Arctic trip passing about 5 mi
les north of Cambridge at around  5.45 pm at something like 2800 ft and batt
ling a 20+ kt headwind. We saw a plane coming on a reciprocal track at our 1
 o'clock and about 300 ft higher. We turned 45 degrees left to give added cl
earance and increase conspicuity whilst keeping a close eye on him. We were s
urprised to say the least when from fairly close he dived to his right to de
scend to pass immediately in front of us about 10 feet up and perhaps 50 yar
ds in front. As he reached our track he did an aileron roll! And dived off i
n the direction of Cambridge. Elegant but IDIOTIC! The plane was  blue and w
hite and looked like an Extra or similar. It all happened so quickly that we
 did not have a chance to get the reg, otherwise we would have felt obliged t
o report an Airprox. We might have been the sort of muffins that rarely look
 out of the cockpit, and could perhaps have just realised that we were going
 to be late & pushed the throttle or whatever.

>    If any of you flying out of Cambridge recognise the description, you mi
ght like to pass the message that we did not yhink it was a specially bright
 manoeuvre!