Re: Europa-List: Recognize this part? Epoxy question.

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Recognize this part? Epoxy question.
From: Rowland Carson <rowlandcarson@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2017 15:49:54

On 2017-04-17, at 04:14, n7188u <chmgarb@gmail.com> wrote:

> Another question I have is regarding epoxies that can be used on this
> airplane.
My preference is for the MGS epoxies and it is what I was using in the Cozy.
I started using L285 but when it became hard to get and expensive due to the
Hazmat classification I switched to the L335 which is also approved for all
aspects
of the Cozy construction. A littler harder to use than L285 (slightly thicker)
but a good option given the price of L285. I found during a search of
the list that L285 is OK for the Europa but is the L335 also approved? Can these
epoxies be used in lieu of the Araldite 420?

Chris - its important to understand the difference between the various epoxies.
I think that all those you quote above are laminating epoxies for use in hand
layups of glass-fibre structures. Araldite 420 (AKA Redux) is a different animal
- its a structural adhesive with some gap-filling properties. I understand
it incorporates some rubbery particles which provide minor gap-filling and
impact
resistance. You must use it (I dont know of any equivalent) for such jobs
as bonding the cockpit module into the fuselage bottom half, bonding on the aft
wing skin, and bonding on the fuselage top half among others. A laminating
epoxy will not provide the required structural strength for these bonds.

in friendship

Rowland