Re: Europa-List: Re: Considering the purchase of a 2nd hand kit

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Considering the purchase of a 2nd hand kit
From: Pete <peterz@zutrasoft.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2017 09:16:24
Interesting example....thx for sharing. Did the tail rise because of downwin
d full aft stick? Im confused why you were pointing downwind and not weather
-cocked into the wind ( which i would have thought would have ben the planes
 natural tendency)?

Cheers and thx,
Pete

> On Apr 2, 2017, at 4:56 AM, Brian Davies <brian.davies@clara.co.uk> wrote:

> The Mono vs Trigear debate could go on for ever and there is no clear winn
er.  Here is my take on it for what it is worth.

> I built my Europa as a Mono.  Prior to flying it I had about 15 hours tail
wheel experience in a J3 Cub.  I would describe myself as only an average pi
lot who has work to stay sharp and current. I received expert conversion tra
ining and then flew some 20 hours of the most challenging and enjoyable kind
.  I then got too confident and tried to land on tarmac with a 90 degree 5-1
0 knot crosswind.  It got away from me but the runway was 45 metres wide so n
o real drama.  Just as the aircraft was coming to a stop at 90 degrees to th
e runway heading and with the wind now up my tail I touched the brakes and i
t tipped on its nose .  The cost was three new Airmaster blades and an overh
auled hub.  It was my fault, not the aircraft.  The lesson I learned was- yo
u can never relax with a Mono- you must always keep on top of it.  Once you g
et below a certain speed if you are still out of shape you become a passenge
r because you have no differential braking to save the day.

> I considered my situation and decided the Mono was great fun but I wanted t
o do some European touring and felt I would enjoy it more with a Trigear so I
 converted.  With the speed kit fitted it is probably 5 knots slower but I d
on=99t notice that.  Once in the air I cannot tell the difference betw
een the two configurations.  I have never regretted my decision to convert b
ut if asked I would always advise someone building a Mono to go for it and e
njoy the challenge.  Yes, conversion is much harder than going Tri during th
e build  but handling a Mono is one of those flying experiences that should n
ot be missed.

ver@matronics.com] On Behalf Of Pete
> Sent: 01 April 2017 23:08
> To: europa-list@matronics.com
> Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Considering the purchase of a 2nd hand kit
>
> Fwiw, I had the generous opportunity to fly with Tim in his fine Mono a fe
w years back, and didn't notice any strange handling issues - in fact he sho
wed me two landings to prove it :)  I did't get the impression it was any bu
sier than a normal taildragger either.  Thanks again Tim!  I had the same ob
servations on my other three mono demo flights. For sure it would have diffe
rent techniques with the outriggers than a 'normal' taildragger, but nothing
  that couldn't be easily learned. Up here in canada, the young air cadets t
rain on gliders without disaster. I for sure will build mine as a mono, as t
he mono's attributes are what attracted me to the plane in the first place, a
nd the entire structure is based on the compact and efficient design. For su
re it is less busy on the ground than my short coupled and inadequate tailed
 hummelbird :-)

> That said, the tri "gold rush" that is for sale would be the most economic
al way to get into a europa (the current north american resale values for eu
ropas has plummeted, simply due to their sparse numbers, and fickle NA flyer
s preference to match hole sonex's and RV's).

> So far i have not yet flown another type that is so beautifully harmonized
, stable and yet responsive. DD did his homework well! I still love this des
ign this 19 years after i first did my research.

> Cheers and blue skies,
> Pete
> C-IPWZ (not a europa ;)
>
> On Apr 1, 2017, at 1:54 PM, Pete Lawless <pete@lawless.info> wrote:
>
> Hi Ira
>
> I agree totally with Tim.  In fact in the last 15 years since my mono has b
een flying I have never noticed any tendency to tip the nose down on braking
 regardless of the G of G.

> You just need soft hands on the ailerons to keep the wings level.  If you o
ver control and push the outrigger into the surface then it affects the  C o
f G, unloads the tail wheel and a ground loop is waiting to happen.

> Having owned a share in a Cub I think the mono is neither harder nor easie
r just different.

> Pete
>
> G-RMAC #109
>

> On 01/04/17 18:15, houlihan tim wrote:
> Hi Ira
>
> "Prop strikes on Mono's are common". What makes you say that ?
>
> In the UK there is no noticeable difference between aircraft insurance pre
miums for tri gear and mono, which tells you something  .

> Sure if you brake hard while turning you can upset things but the accident
 rate is very similar for both types.

> I have had my 912 mono classic flying for 15 years now and yes I broke a p
rop ( only once) but as I attempted to land rounding out about ten feet too h
igh I blame the pilot (me) not the configuration , indeed in a similar situa
tion a tri gear would not only have damaged the prop but also the nosewheel.

> Better pilots than me have described the mono as no more difficult to oper
ate than a piper cub, Having only been a passenger in a cub I cannot give an
 opinion on that.