Re: Europa-List: Rotax 914 Exhaust Leak

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Rotax 914 Exhaust Leak
From: davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2017 09:25:07

Dave, I had a somewhat similar experience having invested in a new
electronic CO detector instead of one of those useless cardboard dots. I
found my leak was through the slots in the join where the exhaust stub
fits onto the silencer. Filling that with exhaust cement totally fixed
my problem, although naturally that is not going to help you if your
remaining problem is still with the exhaust down pipes, but worth
checking anyway.

Regards, David Joyce, GXSDJ (914 XS)

On 2017-01-25 04:13, djaflyact wrote:

> I have a motor glider with the 914 engine. Just bought a good CO detector and
was surprised that I have been flying for years with low level CO in the
cockpit.
I did the classic shop vac blowing in the exhaust to see if I could determine
any leaks. To my huge surprise, I didn't need soapy water to find a leak.
All four slip joints are blowing air like crazy. The fit seems very loose. I
did the same test on a friend's newer 914 and there was no leak at all.

> Anyone have any experience with this. I loaded up the joint with anti seize
> compound
as a test and the leak was reduced significantly. The cockpit readings
at idle lowered from 20 to 5 on the ground. I am considering using a pipe
expanding
tool to slightly increase the smaller pipe to make it a tight fit. The
metal is stainless steel and I don't know if that can be done. It won't take
much
to provide the increased tightness.

> A big concern is the cost off the exhaust parts if I need to replace them.
> Rotax
is extremely proud of their parts. the 4 pipes and the gatherer total
approximately
$4700. That is crazy.

> Any isights would be appreciated.
>
> Dave A