Europa-List: Rotax 914 Exhaust Leak

Subject: Europa-List: Rotax 914 Exhaust Leak
From: djaflyact <djaflyact@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2017 20:13:31

I have a motor glider with the 914 engine. Just bought a good CO detector and
was
surprised that I have been flying for years with low level CO in the cockpit.
I did the classic shop vac blowing in the exhaust to see if I could determine
any leaks. To my huge surprise, I didn't need soapy water to find a leak. All
four slip joints are blowing air like crazy. The fit seems very loose. I did
the same test on a friend's newer 914 and there was no leak at all.

Anyone have any experience with this. I loaded up the joint with anti seize
compound
as a test and the leak was reduced significantly. The cockpit readings at
idle lowered from 20 to 5 on the ground. I am considering using a pipe expanding
tool to slightly increase the smaller pipe to make it a tight fit. The metal
is stainless steel and I don't know if that can be done. It won't take much
to provide the increased tightness.

A big concern is the cost off the exhaust parts if I need to replace them. Rotax
is extremely proud of their parts. the 4 pipes and the gatherer total
approximately
$4700. That is crazy.

Any isights would be appreciated.

Dave A