Europa-List: door fitting query

Subject: Europa-List: door fitting query
From: Rowland Carson <rowlandcarson@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 20:33:20

Re fitting the doors, chapter 35, page 35-1, of the fine manual says:

"you will need to spring them into place, this is quite normal, the tapered
shoot-bolts
pull them down to the shape of the fuselage and onto the rubber seal

My doors do need to be sprung into place but not, as far as I can tell, in the
way described above. The curve of the doors does seem to match the shape of the
fuselage recess quite well.

I havent yet fitted the hinges, but have fettled the door tangs as called out,
and the top edge of the door is near to touching the edge of the door recess all
the way between the hinge tangs. When I lower it into position, the bottom
edge of the door catches slightly on the lower edge of the door recess. Its
possible
to spring it slightly to make it fit, but the pressure needed is UP, not
DOWN. I dont feel happy about leaving it thus, for the following reasons.

(1) When the door is sprung into place like that, the central sections of the
front
and rear window-frames are being pushed out slightly proud of the door recess.

(2) If the door catches on the sill in that way in service, it will destroy the
finish on both parts quite quickly.

So, I plan to remove about 1 or 2mm along the bottom edge of the door. Before I
get started with the long PermaGrit sanding block, can anyone offer a good
reason
not to do so?

in friendship

Rowland