Europa-List: REASON FOR IPAD AND IPHONE FAILURE IN FLIGHT

Subject: Europa-List: REASON FOR IPAD AND IPHONE FAILURE IN FLIGHT
From: Bob Hitchcock <bobhitchcock@icloud.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2016 13:43:47

Hi All

Currently flying back from Gibraltar. Three Europa aircraft flying together
experience
similar issue. Just finished research.

REASON FOR IPAD AND IPHONE FAILURE IN FLIGHT
Be aware

Research now confirms (citation Apple Support) if you operate iOS devices where
the ambient temperature exceeds 35 C , the high-temperature conditions cause
the device to change its behavior to regulate its temperature. On this Europa
trip we been experiencing 40 C!

Higher ambient temperature conditions and activities cause the device to alter
performance and behaviour. These conditions  include:
1. Leaving the device in the plane on a hot day.
2. Leaving the device in direct sunlight for an extended period of time. Under
the Europa canopy is a killer.
3. Extra workload beyond normal tolerance. We are demanding more from the device
when using it as the primary preferred GPS device. Using certain features this
feature exasperates an already high stress situation.

If the interior temperature of the device exceeds the normal operating range,
the
device will protect its internal components by attempting to regulate its
temperature.
IT SHUTS DOWN.

Happily the robust Garmin Aera in my Mono and the Garmin 496 in the TRI are made
of sterner  stuff. They continued working. Those pieces of kit together with
up to date paper maps were invaluable.

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/hitchflight/1/1465982038/tpod.html

Regards

Bob