Europa-List: Re: Electrics and Trim

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Electrics and Trim
From: h&amp;jeuropa <butcher43@att.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2016 14:01:16

Will,

These are strictly my opinions, use them as you see fit.

The diagram I have XS Page 25-11 Issue 4, shows a 30 amp slow blow fuse.  This
is required and needs to be a slow blow type fuse.  I used a Buss Maxi fuse to
get the slow blow feature.

The switch shown which is rated at 25 amps allows one to isolate the alternator
---From the aircraft electrical system.  This could be useful in case of an
alternator
failure or if the capacitor should fail by shorting out.  Many prefer to
start their engine with the alternator out of the circuit and then turn it on
after the engine is started.  For these reasons a switch is probably preferred
since circuit breakers may not be rated to be turned on and off frequently.
I used Aero Electric Connection standard diagram Z-13 as the basis for my
electrical
system.  I have since incorporated portions of Z-16 as well.  I can send
you  a pdf of my electrical system if you like.  Don't forget an overvolt
protection device.  There is a approved club mod for an overvolt crow bar
module.

I have looked at the Dynon SV-AP Panel install instructions.  I assume you are
fitting a Skyview system with Dynon pitch and roll servos for their autopilot
system. That should be a cool setup!   The Dynon panel will allow you to control
the Europa supplied Ray Allen pitch trim motor without using the supplied rocker
switch.  The Dynon is to be fed through a 4A fuse (they probably specified
4A since it can control two trim motors and some motors may draw more than
1A).  It will supply as much current as the Ray Allen motor requires.  The Ray
Allen servos are fused at 1A when installed alone and the wires are quite small
(26 AWG), so fuse the wire going from the Dynon Panel to the trim motor with
a 1A fuse.  You will probably want to keep the Europa supplied position
indicator.
I know I always look at it prior to take off to make sure the trim is
positioned properly.

I hope this helps.
Jim Butcher
N241BW