Europa-List: Re: undercarriage retraction problem

Subject: Europa-List: Re: undercarriage retraction problem
From: JonSmith <jonsmitheuropa@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2015 07:57:37

Hi Rowland,
I remember that the rubber block should be (pre) compressed such that the
distance
between the inside faces of the upper and lower reaction plates is 79mm. I
believe that this measurement is critically important and that it would be a
big mistake to differ from that.  (Older manuals referred to different points
to measure from, bolt centres etc giving different distances but the end result
was the same).
I also remember reading that the most important part of the correct geometry
regarding
the over centre locking is the length of the retraction stops. They should
have been manufactured in the factory such that they were correct but I've
heard they were not always so, so perhaps they are worth checking?  When it's
all set up correctly both retraction arms should touch their respective stops
simultaneously and the retraction arms should be parallel with each other.
The geometry of the three bolt centres should also be correcting as per the
manual,
ie the centre of the middle pivot (top bolt of the rubber block assembly)
should be 1/16 to 1/8" forward of the line between the other two centres.  This
can all be checked and confirmed to be correct with the plane hoisted up and
is easier with the wheel removed.
If the above is all correct then I guess you will have to look elsewhere for
your
problem and I don't really know what the answer might be?  Can the rudder
cables/
fairleads be raised slightly?  Can the brake master cylinder be repositioned
slightly?
Good luck!  Below is a link to the FSB which gives details of the mandatory
undercarriage
checks just in case you haven't seen it - it is on the Europa Club
site.

http://www.theeuropaclub.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/FSB004.pdf

--------
G-TERN