Re: Europa-List: First Fueling

Subject: Re: Europa-List: First Fueling
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 00:16:33
Fred=2C
Gascolators do not prime well.  I would check for an air leak.  Andairs are
 well made and pull a vacuum.  The standard diaphragm pump does not pull ai
r well enough for some brands.  If it won't prime the engine with 2.5 gallo
ns on the ground=2C will it do it in the air?

Ground Test war story:  Ran the main dry=2C flipped to aux and it would not
 self prime without more head pressure.  Could not find a leak but the gasc
olator was installed slightly above tank bottom level.  With 10 gallons it
would prime.  It was a trigear.  I know they have used gascolators in a/c f
or ever=2C but they should be the lowest point in the system.  That is=2C t
he bowl outside=2C below the belly.

That is why I don't use them and won't install one.  To easy to screw up.
Besides=2C water does not condense in the tanks and filters work as well.
Most experimental takeoff accidents are fuel and engine related.  Make them
 flawless then test for fuel exhaustion=2C on one side then switch and hope
fully keep running.

Clean your fuel lines before hooking to the engine.  A common assumption is
 the filter missed some dirt/ debris and the gascolators just prior to the
engine caught it.  Flush and flush again.

My two cents.
Bud