Europa-List: Re: water drain

Subject: Europa-List: Re: water drain
From: Remi Guerner <air.guerner@orange.fr>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 02:20:53

I have found a lot of water in one wing tank of a rented Robin DR400 after
parking
one night under heavy rain. It was about 30 years ago at Sandown, Isle of
Wight. I would have been in trouble if I had taken off on that tank without
prior
draining. Since I fly my Europa (13 years and more than 1100 hours flown)
I never found water while draining the tank using the optional drains. I never
found water in the gascolator either. But I find drops of water in the carb
bowls
occasionally. So I keep draining.
In my opinion, the drains as designed in factory Mod 33, are not very effective
because the water has first to overcome gravity to have a chance to get out and
the volume trapped inside the hose between the bottom of the tank and the drain
is way too big. I made my own mod to the mod using 4mm hose instead of 8mm.
This reduces the trapped volume by 75%, but I still have some doubt about the
effectivity of the system.
Remi Guerner
F-PGKL

Read this topic online here: