Re: Europa-List: Acceptable runway length?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Acceptable runway length?
From: David Watts <dg.watts@talktalk.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 18:03:59

Hi Rick,

I operate, along with 3 other Europa's from a UK grass aerodrome which certainly
gets wet in the winter, in fact regularly going under 12" of water. 2 of the
Europa's are Tri-gear, the others mono and all except one use a 912S with
CS/variable
props.

We have one runway of 750 Mtrs and another of 470 Mtrs with trees on each end.
We regularly use both runways all year. On the longer runway we have one taxiway
---From the hangars which is 220 Mtrs from the end of the runway and when using
that runway all are always airborne before the taxiway (so 200 Mtrs or less
ground roll).

Equally, when landing, if we get it right (NOT ALWAYS) some of us can turn off
at the taxiway (so again less than 200mtrs).

Dave Watts
G-BXDY

> On 10 Nov 2014, at 17:41, Rick Moss <Rkwmoss@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Hi all,
>
> I'm new to the Europa, and trying to get to grips with what constitutes an
> acceptable
runway length, having come to the conclusion that the quoted 600' is
somewhat optimistic! (although perhaps achievable on tarmac with a very healthy
pull at Vs+1kt?).

> I'm flying from an undulating 500m grass strip at 1000'. Every flight thus far
has been made with a 90 crosswind. At one end of my strip is a 40' obstacle.

> My Europa is an XS with a 912S and Airmaster CS prop. The strip drains well,
but as winter approaches it will inevitably get soft.

> In terms of landing, I have never used more than around 300m when approaching
at 63kts. On takeoff, it seems to use 300m+ to lift off and then accelerate in
ground effect to climb away (at a sprightly 1200 fpm at 75kts).