Re: Europa-List: Min turns on rod ends, and a stick height dimension req

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Min turns on rod ends, and a stick height dimension request
From: Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw268@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 11:39:21

Hi Richard,
Out of the blue, thank you. I noticed when I went flying with Remi that I needed
to sit up high. I approximated I needed 4" of height, and therefore more like
6" cushions,,at 5'9". I have made up a timber platform at this height, but
because
I haven't got my doors on or top on, permanently as yet, I can't see if
my head is going to hit. We'll,see.,I did notice the thigh clearance issues,
but I reckon if you wriggle you might be able to get more, if push came to
shove.
Thanks for the dims. I am in LA, but when I get home I will,run a tape and
see what I come up,with. I realise though that the longer the stick, or the
shorter
probably doesn't make too much difference because it is the physical limitation
of the side of the fuselage that stops stick displacement. You just have
to make sure that your grip doesn't stop you getting full travel. Thanks again
for the help.
Regards
Tony R

Sent from my iPad

> On 4 Nov 2014, at 11:03 am, Richard Collings <rcollings@talktalk.net> wrote:
>

> Tony
> I have the following measurements for you, Floor to top of stick 530mm, top of
thigh support to top of stick 305mm, stick fully back top of stick to top of
back rest 580mm and stick fully back to the point where the back rest starts
to angle back 480mm. I am sorry I forgot to get the max forward position that
can follow if you need it.
> I am 5ft 10in and have found it best to sit as high as possible - landing are
less exciting. I have also noted that my thighs get in the way of full aileron
travel either way, but rate of turn is so good that it has not caused a problem.
> Hope this helps
> Regards
> Richard
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Tony Renshaw
> Sent: Friday, September 26, 2014 4:23 AM
> To: europa-list@matronics.com
> Subject: Europa-List: Min turns on rod ends, and a stick height dimension
> request
>

> Gidday,
> I am setting up my tailplanes and specifically my elevator throw. I seem to
> have
the displacement correct and note that my cranked sticks result in the grips
I have, which unfortunately project forward, conflict with my panel, which
is also on 20 mm rubber mounts. So, I have decided I need to get the stick
displacement
range further aft, and I can do this by extending the elevator pushrod
length at the base of the stick. I know it is ideal to make control rod
adjustments
equal at each end, but in reality there doesnt seem to me to be too much
logic in that if there is an adequate number of threads in the rod end. My
rod ends in question are 3/8, and I recalled that I needed a minimum of 4 1/2
turns. Enquiring of my local Europa guru, he said that you need the diameter
of the rod end in depth of thread, which I have noted to be 6 turns. It appears
I dont need quite that minimum, but the less I leave in the rod end, the further
aft I get the range of the elevator. I h!
> ave only been in a Europa twice, and whilst my top is not on and my doors not
on, I am relying a little on those experiences to realise my 59 (175 cm) size
really needs to be jacked up on about 6 from the floor, not the 4 cushion I
originally
imagined. The reason I mention this is because the height of the base
of my handgrip is advice I would like to seek. Of someone with similar stature,
or even others who could help out with advice, Id love to know the height
---From the top of your thigh support to the base of your handgrip, or the base
of
your hand if you dont have a grip with a small shelf toe to it? I still think
I need to cut down my sticks more, and whilst I appreciate I should do something
else at this stage and leave it until my seats go in, which would mean when
my top was on and doors to establish ideal cushion height, Id like to get the
sticks close at this point. I have already noticed that whilst this adjustment
no longer conflicts with my panel (only !
> just though), full left aileron conflicts with my eyebrow exte!
> nsion of
> the glare shield over the primary panel, so I might have to shape the bottom
corner of it to accommodate. Irrespective, Ive realised the need to twist the
stick to avoid sidewall conflict, but it also seems to impact then on your full
right stick movement in terms of the space available with a thigh in the way.
Can see it as being a bit of a juggle to get right. Ironically shortening the
stick a little more allows less twist required of the stick at full left turn
input, giving more thigh room on the right hand side when the stick is commanded
for a right turn. This brings me back to the original question, if anyone
can offer up advice of their relaxed hand position on the stick, the height from
the base of their hand to the top of the thigh support with the controls
neutral.
Much appreciated.
> Regards
> Tony Renshaw
> Sydney Aussie (home from a great holiday in France)
>
> P.S. I have the original classic cockpit module which may offer less room for
your thighs at full aileron throw. Im not sure.