Re: Europa-List: Ultimate Ventilator

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Ultimate Ventilator
From: Robert Borger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2014 15:24:20
Jim,

See =97 http://europaowners.org/main.php?g2_itemId=63921 for pictures
of an ultimate ventilator.

I installed them in my Europa.  They work great at providing plenty of
ventilation.  Maybe leak a tiny bit when closed but not enough to worry
about.  Have never flown in precipitation so I can=92t speak to leaking.

Blue skies & tailwinds,
Bob Borger
Europa XS Tri, Rotax 914, Airmaster C/S Prop (75 hrs).
Little Toot Sport Biplane, Lycoming Thunderbolt AEIO-320 EXP
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX  76208-5331
Cel: 817-992-1117
rlborger@mac.com

<petermorgans181@btinternet.com> wrote:
> Hi Kelv,
> Was it mine - G-CFKZ? There is a small circumferential gap, metal to
metal, of about 0.010". These units provide superb controllable
ventilation compared to the original units. Have not noticed any
problems with rain ingress or water after washing. In flight, with vents
closed, there is a slight draft through the gap.
> Regards
> Peter Morgans

windscreen either side of the fuselage just forward of the doors.
> I saw them fitted to a Europa at Sywell and thought they were a good
solution to the ventilation problem.
> My question to those that are flying and already have them fitted is:
> Do you have any problem with water ingress when it rains?
> I notice that there is no rubber seal or anything fitted and there is
quite a gap between the centre flap and the circular frame when it is
closed.
> In fact, I am a bit disappointed with them as they have no positive
closure device and can be pushed open from outside when fitted.
> I can imagine a lot of rain entering the fuselage when the aircraft is
stored outside.
> Hope I am wrong because they were bloody expensive.
>
> --------
> Regards
>
> Kelv Weston
> Kit 497