Europa-List: Min turns on rod ends, and a stick height dimension request

Subject: Europa-List: Min turns on rod ends, and a stick height dimension request
From: Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw268@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 13:23:12

Gidday,
I am setting up my tailplanes and specifically my elevator throw. I seem to have
the displacement correct and note that my cranked sticks result in the grips
I have, which unfortunately project forward, conflict with my panel, which is
also on 20 mm rubber mounts. So, I have decided I need to get the stick
displacement
range further aft, and I can do this by extending the elevator pushrod
length at the base of the stick. I know it is ideal to make control rod
adjustments
equal at each end, but in reality there doesnt seem to me to be too much
logic in that if there is an adequate number of threads in the rod end. My rod
ends in question are 3/8, and I recalled that I needed a minimum of 4 1/2 turns.
Enquiring of my local Europa guru, he said that you need the diameter of
the rod end in depth of thread, which I have noted to be 6 turns. It appears
I dont need quite that minimum, but the less I leave in the rod end, the further
aft I get the range of the elevator. I have only been in a Europa twice, and
whilst my top is not on and my doors not on, I am relying a little on those
experiences to realise my 59 (175 cm) size really needs to be jacked up on about
6 from the floor, not the 4 cushion I originally imagined. The reason I mention
this is because the height of the base of my handgrip is advice I would like
to seek. Of someone with similar stature, or even others who could help out
with advice, Id love to know the height from the top of your thigh support to
the base of your handgrip, or the base of your hand if you dont have a grip
with a small shelf toe to it? I still think I need to cut down my sticks more,
and whilst I appreciate I should do something else at this stage and leave it
until my seats go in, which would mean when my top was on and doors to establish
ideal cushion height, Id like to get the sticks close at this point. I have
already noticed that whilst this adjustment no longer conflicts with my panel
(only just though), full left aileron conflicts with my eyebrow exte!
 nsion of
 the glare shield over the primary panel, so I might have to shape the bottom
corner
of it to accommodate. Irrespective, Ive realised the need to twist the stick
to avoid sidewall conflict, but it also seems to impact then on your full
right stick movement in terms of the space available with a thigh in the way.
Can see it as being a bit of a juggle to get right. Ironically shortening the
stick a little more allows less twist required of the stick at full left turn
input, giving more thigh room on the right hand side when the stick is commanded
for a right turn. This brings me back to the original question, if anyone
can offer up advice of their relaxed hand position on the stick, the height from
the base of their hand to the top of the thigh support with the controls
neutral.
Much appreciated.
Regards
Tony Renshaw
Sydney Aussie (home from a great holiday in France)

P.S. I have the original classic cockpit module which may offer less room for
your
thighs at full aileron throw. Im not sure.