RE: Europa-List: Re: Identification of parts

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: Identification of parts
From: m.j.gregory@talk21.com
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 10:18:01
Hello Tony,

It appears to me that this may have been the previous owners cheap way
of
adapting the control columns from 1=BC  inches diameter to 1 inch to
allow the
fitting of one inch hand grips, rather than going for the cranked
control
columns of mod 54.

I suggest you measure the internal diameters of the parts in your
photograph
to see if they are 1=BC  inches at one end and 1 inch of the other. If
so,
check your control columns and see if they are 1=BC  inch aluminium and
straight, rather than the later one inch diameter steel and cranked.

Mod 54 explains:

"Several types of hand grip are available for aircraft control columns
and
the most common diameter of column they are made to fit is 1".

"The reduction in diameter from 1=BC" to 1" demanded that the control
column
be made from steel rather than the existing aluminium alloy to cater for
the
maximum load that may be applied."

The full details of mod 54 are on the company website at:

http://www.europa-aircraft.co.uk/pdfs/modifications/Mod%2054.pdf

The change in diameter for the mod is accomplished by inserting a
sleeve,
but if you wish to retain the existing aluminium columns and merely
change
the diameter to allow one inch handgrips to be fitted, then the parts in
your photograph may do this.

Of course, I may be completely wrong and your unidentified parts could
have
absolutely nothing to do with the control columns!

Best regards,

Mike

Dr Mike Gregory

Europa Club safety officer