Re: Europa-List: Classic Radiators

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Classic Radiators
From: Nigel Graham <nigelgraham@mtecque.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 11:32:05

Hi Frank,

Sorry for the late response - I've been "enjoying" the opportunity of
re-plastering the ceiling in the front room and not looked at my mail!

It is true that I have developed a sleek new cowl, but I am creating a
"Custom Special" Europa, so nothing I am doing is compatible with the
standard Europa - so unfortunately, my cowl won't fit the standard XS or
Classic.
Having read your posting, I think that you need to realise that the
Europa is moving into it's twilight years and it is unlikely that the
factory will hold a full spares inventory for the older classic. The
company is not (and never has been) as large as BMW!
The radiators are really not a problem as there are many companies that
can re-create one from a pattern - and most likely for a lot less money
than Europa will charge. Docking Radiators at Siverstone is just one
example.

With regards to an inter-cooler, I am in the process of doing this
myself so have investigated many of the options that you have
considered. It is possible for me because I have developed a
tail-dragger undercarriage that has allowed me to delete all of the
standard Europa undercarriage and engine mounting frames - freeing up
space and saving weight for a firewall mounted water radiator and
inter-cooler
It is true that the standard 914 runs very hot induction air and that a
theoretical benefit could be gained from fitting a suitably sized
inter-cooler to bring down the induction charge temperature. Everything
in aviation is a compromise and the fact is that in order to bring the
temperate down to where you would notice a benefit, would require a
cooler too big (and heavy) to fit into the available space. You also
need to consider routing ducted air to and from the radiator in order to
transfer the heat efficiently - and there is just no space under the
cowls of either of the standard Europa versions.
Out of interest, the 914 only runs with full turbo charging for the last
15% of throttle opening (usually during the climb), for the rest of the
time the wastegate is partially or fully open, so you would be carrying
a large weight penalty  for a very little benefit. As mentioned
elsewhere, the 914 runs very nicely so there is a strong argument that
"if it aint broke, don't fix it".

Bob Harrison of this parish has fitted one, but it is very small due to
space limitations - you could ask him if he notices any difference?

I'll be showing my fuselage with cowl and undercarriage at the
forthcoming LAA rally (I'll be next to the Europa Club stand), so if you
are curious, come along for a chat.

Nigel

PS - I'll send you a photo off list.