Re: Europa-List: Classic Radiators

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Classic Radiators
From: David Joyce <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 16:09:55

Frank, I a sure one of our Classic members will oblige
with the radiator measurements, and you may even strike
lucky and find someone with spare radiators.  Have you
seen Nigel Graham's cowling design which is built round a
914 but incorporates a lot of design features that will
make it significantly more efficient? (Was at the Rally
last year). Certainly if I was starting again I would
abandon the moderately attractive Classic cowlings and get
some of his design, which are truly beautiful ! As to the
intercooler, it seems to me that the 914 works very nicely
as it is and is perfectly matched to the Europa. It also
means that the 914 is immune to carb icing (in my
experience personally , having flown in plenty of carb ice
favouring conditions, and having heard of no convincing
instance of carb icing from anyone else). An intercooler
is going to add weight and a few horsepower, which make
very little difference to top end performance. Improved
propeller characteristics, building light, reducing
external and internal drag all probably have a more
important bearing on performance.
Regards, David Joyce G-XSDJ