Europa-List: Re: Stick Grips

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Stick Grips
From: Remi Guerner <air.guerner@orange.fr>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 03:05:08

Lance,
I assume you are talking about possible pitch trim runaway. I did some testing
a few years ago with my aircraft and this is what I found:
at my typical 130 kts cruise speed if the servo goes to the full pitch up
position,
the necessary push force is so high that it is impossible to maintain level
flight. After reducing power and speed, the push force is still very high.
It is possible to maintain level flight but it will be very tiring after a few
minutes.
  Still at  cruising speed, if the servo goes to the full down position, the
pull
force is high but it is possible to maintain level flight even at cruise speed.
After reducing power and speed, the pull force is still high but it is possible
to maintain level flight quite easily.
Testing was done with the standard stick. Obviously a shortened stick will make
things worse.
I believe it is critical to have the pitch trim circuit breaker well marked so
that you can turn it off before it goes all the way up or down. In case of a
runaway
to the up position, a trick is to bank the aircraft and turn, therefore
releasing the push force. Then, while you are doing 360s, you can relax and take
time to decide what you are going to do next.
Remi Guerner
F-PGKL, XS monowheel, 1100 hours

Read this topic online here: