Europa-List: RE: Europa-List Digest: 1 Msgs - 05/29/14

Subject: Europa-List: RE: Europa-List Digest: 1 Msgs - 05/29/14
From: Gary Leinberger <Gary.Leinberger@millersville.edu>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 14:16:25

I have two fans on my panel - both in front of the pilot on top, about 4 inches
in from the windshield. I need the cooling as I have a full IFR panel, with a
Garmin 430 W that puts out more heat than my college year's  Morgan (sport car)
heater ever did (one would think by owning a Morgan one would learn from that
about English engineering - I must be infected with something to build an
English
airplane) . I also have a temperature controlled thermostat with a timer
so that on landing the fans run for up to 45 minutes after turning off the
engine
(I have a secondary battery and buss to run my backup attitude indicator
and soaring buss). In the winter the fans also de-mist the windshield. It is
important to have openings in the bottom so air can be drawn in. I realize the
bottom of the panel doesn't fit that well but be sure you have sufficient area
to allow air in. I also have a fan that has tubing blowing directly into the
Garmin 430, 330 transponder and GRT HX EFIS. (Yes, I know - it is heavy but I
think the real weight problem comes from the Jacuzzi  in the back bay. And the
A/C doesn't help.) (Just joking about the A/C and Jacuzzi.) By the way, despite
all the IFR stuff and added weight I get 136 kts flat out at 1000 feet, which
may be due in part to the high top which seems to make it faster than normal
Europas despite more frontal area.

Gary Leinberger
N388SG
Lancaster, Pa. USA