RE: Europa-List: Stupidity of Facebook thread

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Stupidity of Facebook thread
From: Brian Davies <brian.davies@clara.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 12:00:59
Hear, Hear!

Brian Davies

From: owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com
[mailto:owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com] On Behalf Of DAVID JOYCE
Sent: 20 May 2014 09:52
Subject: Europa-List: Stupidity of Facebook thread

 Its not often I feel the need to voice my views or opinions, but
following
this debate / tirade / witch hunt I think its now about time we closed
it
off and returned to list normality...

Just to put a few things straight this the matronics list is an
invaluable
source of knowledge, diversity, friendship and camaraderie. These type
of
lists have been around for a long time, longer of course than the
current
batch of social networking (FB etc) however I well remember the
reticence
associated with these lists at the time.

Facebook and Twitter are quite simply the current holders of the trend
and
human need for communication, these are certain to loose this position
of
current favourites as and when something new comes along, its happened
many
times in History, Photography that was alleged to steal the sole, Radio,
Television and indeed even our own beloved Aviation have all had the
same
views expressed as I see being levelled at social Networking, it would
appear that Ludditeism is indeed still alive!

To clarify a couple of issues (understandable as the protagonists
clearly
have no experience of the medium), Facebook and twitter is self
regulating
and very simple, if you post information, Photographs, Videos or
opinions it
is only viewed by the people that you give permission to view them
PLEASE
READ THAT AGAIN, this facility is not available through this valuable
and
irreplaceable forum. The current crop of social medias are populated by
different set of minds (probably somewhat younger both physically and
minded) these people probably have a similar view about our Matronics
forum
as some on here have about theirs. There is of course a crossover where
both
are used by some including myself.

Its a very na=EFve attitude to take the view keep our hobby and
beautiful
aircraft to ourselves and a secret (a secret handshake for Europa
owners,
now there is a most interesting thought), without  future owners,
fettlers,
builders our treasures will end up in barns, lockups etc. in very sorry
states probably never to fly again, "is that where we want our labours
end up?" We really do need the future owners, if for no other reason we
need
these pilots to fly ourselves when we loose our medicals for age or
health
reasons, we could of course take the Egyptians view and be buried with
the
aircraft for use in the great atmosphere above? I wont be doing this as
hope to be presented with a new set of wings on arrival. Ironically some
of
the responders comments confuse me as whilst trying to keep the aircraft
exclusive, make a point about visiting, travelling to many parts and
meets
all over Europe and the world, hardly keeping the Europa a secret is it?
would ask the question again do we really want to keep our pleasure and
passion a secret?

Certainly not in my own case and I suspect in most of our cases, we
therefor
need to take and exploit all of the opportunities to show off our
Aircraft,
promote the Europa Aircraft and our community, I for one take great
pleasure
in sharing my life experiences, flights, pictures and videos with my
invited
friends, its pretty much the same as what happens on here but a little
more
modern, in fact its the same as me picking up the phone and speaking to
my
friends which I still do actually do.

So lets end the venom-ocity and silliness here and now "Long Live
Matronics
and Long Live Facebook too" a place in all of our worlds for all of

The other one

David J Joyce

Sent to you by David Joyce
 <http://www.eastmidsspas.com/> www.eastmidsspas.com

PLEASE NOTE WE HAVE MOVED AND ARE NOW AT

The Zycomm Building 51 Nottingham Road Ripley Derbys DE5 3AS

160 Meters from Sainsbury's Island

Same Phone 0800 4102122 and Direct Mobile 07973 675755