Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List: Re: Eur

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List: Re: Eur
From: ROBERT LINDSAY <rlindsa2@san.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2014 23:56:38
Don;t confuse airspeed with ground/GPS speed .  When in steady state
flight in still air and the airplane encounters a sudden 5 kt HW, the
air spd indicator almost immediately indicates a momentary 5 kt
increase.  However, the increase will decay because of increased drag.

Usually, however, the air mass is more dynamic;  exhibiting a
combination of momentary up and down drafts with horizontal components.
Handling this complexity is most crucial during approach to landing.
That's why a strait stabilized approach (glide path and airspeed steady)
is best controlled by pitching to the glide path and maintaining
airspeed with thrust.

Angle of attack, of course, is a more direct indication regarding the
wing's margin above stall even in maneuvering flight.  But airspeed is
adequate if we realize its limitations.

Bob Lindsay
XS Mono N77EU