Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List: Euro

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List: Europa
From: David Joyce <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2014 22:55:19

Graham, Are you sure you are not thinking about a
variometer rather than an ASI? You can compare your aSI
with a GPS readout and the two closely parallel each other
(allowing for wind)  i would not expect significant lag on
an ASI. But quite apart from that the SmartASS is so
effective (as no doubt are the better forms of AOA system)
because it gives you phased warnings in unignorable form
that you are departing from your chosen safe approach
speed, alerting you long before you get to the stall. You
might wonder what an approach speed has got to do with an
EFATO sort of incident, but if she (the nice lady inside
the SmartASS) is set for an approach speed of 60kts then
she wakes up automatically in any phase of flight if you
get down to within a few percent of 60kts, and gets very
aggravated long before you get anywhere near 40 kts.
Regards, David Joyce