Re: Europa-List: Build Master Task List

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Build Master Task List
From: Rowland Carson <rowlandcarson@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 13:05:05

On 28 Feb 2014, at 12:32, alan_hunter1664 wrote:

> I've been reading the Europa build manual, on to my 20th time now I think, and
although very good, I find it wordy and not conducive to tracking the progress
of work. I was therefore considering producing a Master Task List for each
chapter as this would make is far easier to use the kitlog prgramme I've bought
to track and report on build progress. Has anyone produced A MTL before that
I could use as a starting point?

Alan - this MTL idea is new to me, but sounds very sensible for both planning &
logging - and I'd be interested to get access to it if it's ever created! The
only thing I can think of as a springboard towards producing such a document
is the LAA list of inspections. Here's a copy of that list:

1       Workroom conditions     Check workroom for suitability and cleanliness.
Check thermometer and hygrometer available.
Check epoxy ratio balance for accuracy.
2       Education layup Check Euro Chock for quality of layup, correct ply
orientation
and flox corners for voids.
3       Rudder  Check for lean or rich areas in layup, ply orientation, leading
and trailing
edges for straightness.
Check close-out layup and reinforced areas for hinge attachment.
4       Tailplane       Check outboard rib for correct layup and accuracy.
5       Tailplane       Check skins for quality and ply orientation.
Check inboard rib and rear spar for hinge area reinforcements.
Check anti-servo tab for correct layup and hinge attachment, free movement
without
hinge binding.
Check correct fitting to torque tube, inboard rib bushes and pip pin operation.
Check that both tailplanes have the same incidence.
6       Ailerons        Check top skin, bottom skin and close-outs for correct
layup, cure and
ply orientation and straightness of aileron.
7       Ailerons        Check inboard rib and insert for position and push rod
attachment pin
for correct installation.
8       Ailerons        Check correct hinge attachment, position and safety.
9       Ailerons        Check mass balance weight for correct attachment.
10      Flaps   Check top and bottom skins for correct layup, ply orientation
and quality.
11      Flaps   Check end ribs for correct layup and insert position accuracy.
12      Flaps   Check aileron and flap close-outs for correct layup and ply
orientation.
13      Wing    Inspection stage 1 Working conditions must have been satisfied
prior to
start of wing build.
Check all layups for full cure using scratch and tap test if in doubt.
Ply orientation +/- 10 degrees, wet or dry areas, all joints for correct layup
procedure and general cleanliness.
14      Wing    Check aileron bellcrank attachment to spar, and inspection
hole. Check
bellcrank assembly for correct assembly and riveting.
15      Wing    Inspect spar to upper and lower skins layups for quality and
ply orientation,
also root rib, diagonal rib, and walkway rib to skin layups for quality
and ply orientation.
16      Wing    Inspect outrigger double rib to skin layup for quality and ply
orientation,
also correct installation of 3mm plywood transverse rib and associated layups
between double ribs.
17      Wing    Check upper trailing edge skin bond to main wing structure and
alignment
with leading edge.
18      Wing    Check position of inserts and orientation of 12mm stainless
root pins.
19      Wing    Check hinge arm alignment using templates on outboard and
inboard sighting
centre as per plans.
With ailerons and flaps attached check for smooth operation, interference,
travel
and outrigger retract and extension mechanism.
20      Fuselage        Inspection stage 1 Workroom conditions must have been
satisfied prior
to start of fuselage build.
Check all layups for full cure using scratch and tap test if in doubt.
Check ply orientation +/- 10 degrees, wet or dry areas, all joints for correct
layup procedure and general cleanliness.
Check all parts for quality before assembly.
21      Fuselage        Check installation of rear bulkhead.
22      Fuselage        Check installation and alignment of tailplane torque
tube bushes and
tailplane.
23      Fuselage        Prior to installation of completed cockpit module into
bottom of fuselage,
check fitment and operation of flying controls (with wings attached).
24      Fuselage        Check final installation of cockpit module into
fuselage.
25      Fuselage        Check installation and operation of fuel system.
26      Fuselage        Check installation of main and tailwheel undercarriage.
27      Fuselage        Check installation and operation of electrical system.
28      Fuselage        Check installation and operation of panel and
instruments.
29      Fuselage        Final check of completed fuselage including doors and
all hardware.
30      Fuselage        Check installation of engine including all systems,
propeller and cowlings.
Record fuel flow checks in build book.
31      Structure - general     Check structure after filling and sanding for
excessive
sanding which may compromise the integrity of the structure.
32      Final inspection        Final check of complete aircraft including
rigging and control
movements, correct operation of all systems, proper cockpit and panel
placarding,
cockpit furnishings including harness installation, external markings
including registration. Weigh aircraft and forward results and weight schedule
to PFA.

The tab characters that separate item number, functional area, and description
may not survive the e-mail transmission process. If you want a clean copy please
ask for an attachment.

in friendship

Rowland