RE: Europa-List: Tufnell bonding to quick connect bellcrank

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Tufnell bonding to quick connect bellcrank
From: Greg Fuchs <gregoryf.flyboy@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 14:09:10

Hi William,

As others have mentioned, adding flox will keep the glue from running.

HINT: A no-sanding method to take up the space between the bellcranks:

I don't know if anyone has done this, but I found a pretty slick method to
take up the clearance when gluing the 'tuffy' spacer between the bellcranks.
Get three 1/16" (or so) strips of double sided foamy tape. The squishy
stuff, not the normal double sided tape. Arts and craft store ought to have
them. Place the strips full length on each of the long sides of the tufnol,
and one in the middle. Carefully place the glue between the strips of tape
(not too much), and tenderly press the tufnol spacer into the correct
position on the bellcrank. The tape will hold it firm in place so it won't
wander around. Assemble the bellcranks together as they would be in normal
operation, with all of them bolted onto their swivels. Be sure the aileron
weight is unloaded off of the bellcranks (I disconnected mine), so that the
mating surfaces are not torqued. You want the surfaces to stay parallel to
each other and symmetrical forces all the way along the foam. ..The squishy
foam tape acts as a spring to take up the exact gap needed for a zero
clearance fit. It also contains the glue between the foam channels so one
can avoid using plastic sheeting, which might mess up the gap. The glue will
squidge out from the top and bottom a bit though, but it can be carefully
wiped away with a q-tip or the like. The foam is sacrificial, and will
become a permanent fixture in the plane. Bobs your Uncle!
Cheers,
Greg

Hello everyone
I have been trying to bond the piece of Tufnall to the fuselage aerolon
quick connect bellcrank. Problem is that the redux simply flows out the
bottom of the joint. It is too runny! The build manual describes assembling
the wings and letting the bond set in order to achieve a perfect fit. I am
sure this problem must have been surmounted by all the builders and it has
probably been discussed before. A link to the answer would be appreciated.
Thanks William Bliss G-WUFF