Re: Europa-List: Mod 76 - Altitude Hold Autopilot

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Mod 76 - Altitude Hold Autopilot
From: nigel_graham@m-tecque.co.uk <nigelgraham@mtecque.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 08:11:24
Hello Rob, I recently had to strip out and refit the CS10 and had to
face the same problem so know exactly what you are up against. There is
a solution. Ideally you need a trusty assistant - though I did succeed
by myself (it took a whole afternoon though :-(  )
I used a long socket, and filled it with spare nuts such that it
prevented the nut you are attempting to tighten - sliding down into the
barrel of the socket. I magnetised the socket by stroking it a few times
with a strong magnet - that ensured that the nut would not drop out. Now
the nut can be held precisely.

The next bit seems non-intuitive, but tighten the bolt (not the nut)
---From the other side of the aircraft using your assistant and a long
socket drive extension.

All you need to focus on is keeping the nut in place (a long socket is
easier to hold) until the thread catches. The only other thing to
consider is keeping the washers in place until the bolt is inserted -
this was done by sticking the washers using a blob of grease.

It is possible to achieve without resorting to an angle grinder!

Nigel