Europa-List: Re: 914 battery location.

Subject: Europa-List: Re: 914 battery location.
From: rparigoris <rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 08:35:12

Hi Tony

My XS mono has a 914. It also has a Airmaster CS prop and second B+C alternator.

On a mono ground handling is much improved if you are not near the forward CG.

I chose to put a Odyssey PC545 way aft mounted:
http://www.europaowners.org/main.php?g2_itemId=30710
with #4 copper clad aluminium wire.
I calculated and you save just about one pound using #4 copper clad aluminium
over
#4 copper.
One downside to aluminium clad wire is it work hardens very easy and the strands
are larger than #4 tefzel wire. Thus bend it and it breaks a lot easier. Think
gentle bends and good strain relief.

I also added weight to the front of my stabilators that will reduce load to the
drive pins and weight required on the mass balance arm by ~ 15%. Thus 3 pounds
of weight only cost me 2.2 pounds. This negates needing to add dead weight to
the sternpost.

Ron Parigoris

Read this topic online here: