Re: Europa-List: Door fitting ??

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Door fitting ??
From: Kingsley Hurst <kingsnjan@westnet.com.au>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 21:01:30
Hello Paul,

You said "As expected there is excess all round but which bits to trim
first ?"

You are not alone with this dilemma.  I had exactly the same problem and
typical of my performance, I realised what I should have done AFTER
doing both doors.

If I had to do them again I would cut pieces of blue foam of the
required dimensions and strategically glue them into the rebates around
the door frame with hot glue such that when you trial fit the door, the
door is positively located centrally forward and aft and up and down.
Trimming of the door frame should then be able to be carried out with
confidence as every time the door is trial fitted, it will be in the
same place.
Not only should it be easier, but another benefit of doing it like this
would be that the gaps for the shoot bolts should be even both front and
back and not closer at the back than the front like mine unfortunately.

Thinking about it a little more now, for the vertical positioning of the
door, it may be better to only put the spacers on the bottom door sill
so that as the door begins to enter the cavity, it will not be
restricted by spacers at the top.  Thinking on the run now so it is all
just food for thought!

Note that as aforesaid, I have not tried this approach but I'm fairly
sure it would work.  Others that had more foresight than I might like to
either confirm or deny my thoughts.

Best regards

Kingsley in Oz.