RE: Europa-List: Cowl mods for front belt driven alternator

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Cowl mods for front belt driven alternator
From: Greg Fuchs <gregoryf.flyboy@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 13:20:27

Hi Paul,

THANKS! Wow, that's quite a detailed load analysis. I can see why you needed
it. It seems that the available Mega-micro (heehee) Watts available from the
Rotax generator are being well used in most modes of flight.  I especially
like the slight rest it gets during cruise, ensuring it can top off the
batteries....and possibly lowering the chance of a failure during this phase
of flight.

Looking at the spreadsheet, I can't help but wonder if there is a need (or
at least used to be..before the changes) for a slightly bigger battery
capacity to help handle the load when the plane isn't at high rpm?  Of
course, experience is what matters. If you can recall, what battery size is
working for you?

One side note: Over a decade ago, in order to save a few $$, I replaced the
normal extra-capacity battery on my car (they are quite a bit larger than
the normal size), with one that was smaller...and it kept leaving me
stranded during the winter when running the accessories like fan, electric
window heaters, etc.  Granted, I was running the car at idle for periods of
about a half hour, to try to keep warm. I replaced it back to the beefier
battery rather quickly, and all starting problems went away. Of course,
there is no penalty of bigger batteries in a ground-bound vehicle and only a
last resort in an airplane. :)

Hmm.. some HAVE paid more attention to the weight during the build, and
still end up bloated.. 860 is not too bad, IMO.

I'll be trying to use lower power items, such as external LED lights and
EFIS. Since none of them pass Burt Rutans qualification of staying in the
air when tossed there, I will now be adding helium-balloon ballast to the
ship to compensate for it. :)

Thanks again for the detail,
Greg