RE: Europa-List: Ducati rectifier/regulators ... a different perspective

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Ducati rectifier/regulators ... a different perspective
From: Greg Fuchs <gregoryf.flyboy@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 11:35:48
Pete-
Is this approach noisy at all? Can you hear any high-pitched whine in
the
audio system? Any insight into the switching converter (such as the
power it
can handle, where it is available, cost, etc).  Either way, this could
come
in handy too, possibly for backup of the Ducati during flight. After
all, in
the 914, the pumps need to keep spinning and the time electrical
problems
crop up always seems to be at the most in-opportune time, like between
land
masses :).

I will be  giving up  the pad which would have been for the second
alternator, in order to place the oil regulator for the constant-speed
prop.
The front alternator alternative would require cowl mods, so it might be
an
easy two-wire switch-in solution for at least or just the pump, if our
infamous regulator fails (and assuming open diodes and not shorted scr's
is
the normal failure mode).

Backup also requires a reliable stator. Has anyone ever had the charging
coils go out?

Regards,
Greg

  _____