Re: Europa-List: XS Fuel Tank

Subject: Re: Europa-List: XS Fuel Tank
From: bill <bill.sue@orcon.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 11:43:05
Thank you Nigel,

Having got the top off now I can see that the leak is at the shelf on
the front of the tank where it sits on the mount. It appears that the
fibreglass had bonded to the tank and with movement caused a fracture
due to the stress. Having looked at the tank now which is very deformed
and reducing capacity, I am sure a "metal" one will be much superior.
Fortunately there are some very good craftsman around here so
fabrication will not be a problem. Not sure we will get to the same
volume as you have but will certainly look for more than I have now.
Will send some pic,s when all done.

Regards

Sue and Bill Sisley
On 12/11/2013 8:55 a.m., nigel_graham@m-tecque.co.uk wrote:
> Hello Bill,
>
> I'm a bit late getting back on this one but as others have said, I
> built a tank out of 5251 quarter-hard magnesium alloy.
> It weighs 7850 grams and has a capacity of 110 litres.
> I incorporated internal baffles, and breathers with proper AN fittings
> to accommodate alloy pipework. It is also fitted with a full length
> capacitive probe and four solid-state optical fuel level sensors.
> http://www.europaowners.org/main.php?g2_itemId=28719
>
> The only advice I would offer is: allow yourself a long time to make and
> perfect
your cardboard templates - the fuselage is partly conical in section so the
development will be an interesting shape. Choose a welder based on his ability
to weld alloy and don't fall into the trap I did of restricting yourself to
a CAA approved welder whose self-belief exceeded his ability!