Re: Europa-List: Fuel tank fluorination

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fuel tank fluorination
From: Andrew Sarangan <asarangan@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2013 18:57:41

Bob

Regarding cleaning, all traces of oil, paper and water has to be
removed. That is about all they said. Apparently these items can
'burn' in fluorine and cause damage. I am flushing the whole tank
first with dishwashing detergent and fabric softener. This reduces
static cling and allows the fine powdery plastic to be flushed out. I
got a surprising amount of particles come out even after I had
vacuumed everything inside. Then I plan on plugging the holes with
cork and shake the tank with a gallon of acetone, drain it, and then
repeat with isopolyl alcohol. Acetone removes oils and IPA dehydrates
all surfaces. That's my plan anyway.

Regarding timeline, apparently they don't always run the
automotive-level fluorination process, so it depends on when we
deliver the parts there, and what they have in their pipeline. But
they said it shouldn't be more than 1 or 2 weeks.

My plan is to drive my tank over there sometime this coming week. But
if you are interesting in joining, I am willing to wait.