Re: Europa-List: Re: Intercom Do you need one

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Intercom Do you need one
From: Alan Burrill <alanb@dpy01.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 17:55:09
For those in the UK beware. Icom currently have this statement on their
specification for the IC-A6

NOTICE FOR USE for IC-A6E and IC-A24E VHF
AIRBAND TRANSCEIVERS
These versions of the IC-A6E and IC-A24E comply with
requirements of the European Radio and Telecommunication
Terminal Directive 1999/5/EC and are RTTE and CE approved.
At present, full approval for air use is not attainable for these
products or any other product at this level in the market place.
Therefore, the IC-A6E and IC-A24E are both intended for use in
Europe for ground use only*. Under the Wireless and Telegraphy
Act of 2006 these radios can be used for emergency
communication and navigation (VOR) should your life be at risk.
*Unless an aviation body in an EU member state gives
dispensation for it to be used in the air.

My understanding from sources is there is currently no handheld 8.33kHz
capable radio in the UK with an approval for use in an aircraft and boo
dispensation has been given.

Sad state of affair but there we have it if some one can prove it wrong
then please do!

I have the ATR833 in use and can confirm it is a nice radio and the
controls for the Intercom easy to get at with simple three pushes of the
select button and then twiddle the knob to change the i/c volume. I find
once set on  the ground it does not need changing in the air but have
found it easy to do anyway.

Alan
On 6 Nov 2013, at 16:54, John Heykoop <john.heykoop@gmail.com> wrote:

<john.heykoop@gmail.com>

> David
>
> I do envy you youngsters. I did not finish building my plane until I
was 79 and have now had three great years flying it. The odds of passing
my class 2 medical must be worsening all the time, but on the other hand
I don't feel any different and might stay fit and well until my
nineties. So to hell with the expense, next year I will definitely
invest in a 8.25Khz radio.

> There are quite a number of Europa pilots who are getting on a bit,
and my advice to them would be not to give up prematurely. I reckon the
physical and mental effort of flying and maintaining a Europa and the
sheer enjoyment it provides are things that help to keep one young. Of
course, if you start to develop a medical problem, or if you notice your
flying starts to deteriorate, then it would be foolish to continue. But
until then, enjoy!

> Regards
>
> John
> XS Mono G-JHKP
>
> On 6 Nov 2013, at 14:03, "David Joyce" <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>
wrote:

>> There is also the question for us oldies of pilot  'Sell by Dates'. I
ask myself whether I shall still be flying in 2017! My heart says Yes,
Of course,  but the head might come up with a different answer!