Re: Europa-List: Pip pin logic

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Pip pin logic
From: Pete <peterz@zutrasoft.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2013 07:48:26

Under extreme load the spar pin is being twisted downwards (at the rear end). So
it is no longer purely in shear, thus the tendency for the rear spar to slide
off and the need for a pip pin and strap.

If the spar arrangement was a fork type (in many gliders) instead of the
scissors
that we currently have this twisting load would not exist.

Cheers,
Pete

> On Oct 27, 2013, at 7:27 AM, "David Joyce" <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk> wrote:
>

> We know that the wings & spars have been proof tested to 10g and the force on
the spar pin is principally one of shear with the spar tip trying to depart
downwards,
and at 10g MAUW, the actual shear force is likely to be something in
excess of 3000kg.
> In comparison to this, the tendency for the spar tip to move backwards and
> disengage
itself from the spar pin must be very small and I have no doubt that the
clever fellows at Europa did their stress calculations and concluded that the
tension strength of the pip pin system was sufficient. I suspect that
reinventing
that particiular wheel will achieve nothing but risking not being able
to get your wings off somewhere down the line.