Europa-List: Intercom Do you need one

Subject: Europa-List: Intercom Do you need one
From: David Joyce <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 17:30:33

I would be grateful for some expert thoughts on the need
for an intercom with a modern radio. I started off 13 yrs
ago with an Icom radio and was persuaded that it was worth
having an additional Flightcom intercom. I subsequently
upgraded to a Garmin SL30 ( which has been fantastic) but
kept the intercom. Now of course we need to be 8.33KHz
compliant so I am planning on getting the Garmin
equivalent of the SL30 which infuriatingly they have made
about a 1/4" fatter vertically. This means I am going to
have to totally redesign that side of my panel, and it
occurs to me that something costing as much as the Garmin
GNC255 should be able to give good quality intercom
without the help of Flightcom and I could ditch the
latter. Any advice gratefully received.
Regards, David Joyce, G-XSDJ